View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 03:44 PM
mosteam3985
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009
Position: still here...

Originally Posted by Cargo Man View Post
Schools do higher bus drivers off the streets , pay and hours not good , but they get you into a CDL, ( maybe class B) its a stepping stone like general aviation.Something to check into.

Anyone can get a school bus driver job. I am living proof of this. I am 20 and a school bus driver while attending college. I got the job at 18! At that age and this economy I should not be driving a school bus with 80 kids in it theoretically but I am and I actually quite enjoy it. My dad hauled fuel for 30 years and it was quite rewarding. In the summer I drive for the construction company my mom works for and the only reason they were willing to train me for class A was my school bus driving experience. I make $48.00 a day for barely 3 1/2 hours of work. It pays the bills and the extra trips I get on weekends (basketball, swimming, wrestling etc.) help pay for my flight time. It's slow going to get my ratings but I have a deep hatred for fast track schools and nowhere near that kind of money anyway. I get to drive a big vehicle everyday and also fly. It's something for you to look into for sure.