View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 05:01 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by mosteam3985 View Post
Anyone can get a school bus driver job. I am living proof of this. I am 20 and a school bus driver while attending college. I got the job at 18! At that age and this economy I should not be driving a school bus with 80 kids in it theoretically but I am and I actually quite enjoy it. My dad hauled fuel for 30 years and it was quite rewarding. In the summer I drive for the construction company my mom works for and the only reason they were willing to train me for class A was my school bus driving experience. I make $48.00 a day for barely 3 1/2 hours of work. It pays the bills and the extra trips I get on weekends (basketball, swimming, wrestling etc.) help pay for my flight time. It's slow going to get my ratings but I have a deep hatred for fast track schools and nowhere near that kind of money anyway. I get to drive a big vehicle everyday and also fly. It's something for you to look into for sure.
One of my roommates in college drove a schoolbus. It seemed to be a great job except for the getting up *really* early in the morning part.
He worked for a few hours in the morning and then again in the afternoon. He made A LOT more money than I did in my multitude of jobs and he had every weekend off if he wanted, or like you said, made extra money driving to the sporting events. For any of you high school/college age guys and gals out there - look into bus driving for a job and best of luck.

USMCFLYR