View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 PM
DLax85
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey

Originally Posted by Laughing_Jakal View Post
When I flew for the military....I did it for God and Country and there was no amount of money that would get me to do what I did.

Chuck.....I hate to break it to you, like FedEx Express.....most of the pilots on this property are a "For Profit" operation. With the exception of the Humanitarian donation efforts, we are not doing this to save lives, defend our country, or fend off disaster...........we do what we do to make the corporation (and shareholders) a pile of cash. Out of that pile of cash, we get a small portion of it. In return for that remuneration, we have the responsibility to abide by our contract and be good employees.

Is proper catering essential when someone's life is on the line? Can we find creative solutions to crew duty times when we are saving lives?......I think we all know the answer to that........and Chuck, most of us have lived it repeatedly.

I'd wager that nothing we do at FedEx covered under the CBA meets the criteria above. Those applying the "God and Country" standard to commercial operations are the victims of emotionalism, hubris, and poor judgement. They ought to have their own special paragraph in an Enders report.

Anyone in management who'd attempt to confuse performance levels required in life-saving contingency operations and daily "for-profit operations" (the goal... only to line the shareholder's pocket) is either stupid or disingenuous.

Rather than let you take your pick, I will assume your statements were made tongue-in-cheek, brought on by the snide remarks about management pilots. In which case, I will congratulate you for successfully stirring the pot.

Our requirements are not obstacles to FedEx profitability....they are essential to FedEx profitability......because without them....we don't go.....and if we weren't essential, then we wouldn't get more desperate calls at 0300 than Hillary Clinton.

Remember.....it is just business.....No buck....no Buck Rogers.
...Shack!!

Just wondering what goes thru Chuck's mind as he reads all of these responses.

(...and we all know he's looked at every one.)