View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 PM
IC ALL
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

"I have about 60 Hrs and have not solo yet."

I would try a different CFI. If you still have trouble, I'd have to tell you not everyone is able to excel at the skill set necessary to be a pilot. If you are going to consistently need extra training this far above the norm, then you simply would be better off doing something else.

The flare problem is simply judgment. You have to do it over and over until you see the sight picture necessary as to when to start your flare. I'd have your CFI do one landing, and you do the next, so can see how it's done properly. If your CFI is trying to talk you through 10 landings in a row during a lesson, and now you have 60 hours and haven't soloed, then he/she needs to try something different.

As to the balloon, I teach to hold the amount of back pressure that caused you to balloon and let a descent rate restart. Do not lower the nose. Do not raise the nose. Just hold what you have. As you get close to the ground again, then increase back pressure to slow your descent rate. If you run out of airspeed, you could even add a little power. But never forget that a go around is always an option.