View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 06:27 PM
jetblue320
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2005
Position: A320 Capt

Originally Posted by FNG320
I think you are right on with a lot of what you say. I just disagree with some of it. Hey, we all have opinions and sometimes they are different. I do try to make sure I have the data to back up what I say, and there are some things here I plan to check into.

I am glad to hear you are as concerned for the little guy. Sometimes your post go way opver to the dark side and the "its all about me" and "seniority". That may not be what you mean, but that is what ends up in print. Not that you shouldn't be concerned but at times riding that horse too much makes you a bigger target and hides the fact that you do care about the whole pilot group.

You make the comment that

"My big beef with the few here that are complaining about this injustice is that they only just beef, and not do anything else about it other than whine.

If that were true, the you would be right. But I have tried to work in the system(s) as you have suggested. The annual JB company wide survey, the annual scheduling survey, the SHOW ME THE MONEY program (both of them), letters to chief pilot, crew services, different commmittees, Dave Bushy, etc. Vollenteered for several committees, etc. I've been "ranting and raving" with facts directly to the proper people but nothing is happening. Been doing this for years now, and there has been almost no change and almost no communication. Actually there has been communication, but none of it answers the questions or fixes the problems. How about some updates, gives us the possible solutions, gives us an input, etc. Overall, I've heard nothing of significance. The QSO is a start, but haven't heard a thing since and my sources in the QSO say almost nothing has been done. There are a lot of "empires" here at JetBlue. The problem is, the person(s) that owns each empire (crew services, Operations, and more) don't like or want outside intervention. It tends to be my way or the highway.

As to why do this on a message board? This board allows me and other to ask questions and b1tch about what is going on (or not going on) and maybe get some answers from the bigger pool of knowledge. When we fly each month we typcally only fly with 4-8 different people and maybe run into a few more in the pilot lounge, but that doesn't promote the exchange of information. For pilots based in FLL and LGB, it is even a small pool of pilots and infomation exchange is even less. Why do we do it here? We have no other place to do so. No company message board, no functional suggestion program. No real answers to our questions or complaints. Some guys are fearful of directly addressing the big guys for fear they may lose their job. (not good). The constant "weve got 10,000 applications on line from people who want to work here" from all of management is a direct threat or at least it means "if you don't like it the way it is, then leave" 320, even you have said this on numerous post on this and other boards. Pocket sessions? I've tried. They tend to be the "warm and fuzzy" pep talk meeting and lets hold hands, sing kume by ya, and lets work harder. Not that it isn't needed, but the hard questions are rarely answered. Even the pilot only type sessions, when the questions get hard it is either "we will look into it" with no reply ever given or "Sorry thats the way it is". What about the committees (values, scheduling, etc). Most of the information we seem to get from them is very vague, edited or non-existant. Wasn't it seveal months ago that the Values committee met with the big guys? About what? About who? What were managements response and what are the results. IF it is a personal issue for a specific pilot, that should stay private, but some issus address, even personal ones (edited for privacy) may help all of us avoid the same trap/mistake. I would like to get some minutes of this meeting and know what was discussed and what were the answers. The same for all of the committees. If they are our reps, then we deserve to hear what they know, all of it.

Ok, ok, ok, I think I have rambled on enought for this day. 320, I agree with a lot of what you say and we are similar in opinion on more than you think, but I am on the other side of some of the issues. I guess we can agree to disagree. I know when someone can give me the facts, I can change my opinion, but I need the facts. I hope you can do the same.

Just my opinion....

FNG
Fair enough. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

Take care ad have a great weeknd. Hope your not spending it on duty!