View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 03:03 AM
Jared
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: E190 FO

I worked for MAC for almost 2 years, and I'll try to answer your questions. No, yes, very much so, even more so, no. The long version is that MAC is a great place to fly well maintained airplanes on a relaxed schedule. The company is small and is mostly managed with a consience, and they don't skimp on training or maintenance. THe pay is farily good, I'd say on the slightly above average mark. My experience was particularly diverse, including lots of interesting routes and such, but in my first year I flew just under 500 hours. If Fedex is where you want to go, you will certainly get there faster in a regional jet. Don't let the colors on the plane decieve you; Fedex has probably had better results in training pilots to fly their glass-cockpit jets by hiring pilots who fly glass-cockpit jets. Before you can fly as PIC in a twin you have to have flown as PIC in the caravan, unless you were exceptionally experienced (like several thousand hours of part 121 pic). Since the captains have such a good schedule, and because you fly so little, upgrade times can be long if you come in with low time (1000 hours) like I did. Personally I had a good time in my stay there, but I knew that it was going to be several more years before an upgrade. For me, that wait wasn't worth upgrading into a position that would have meant staying up all night and not being competitive for as many jobs as my regional jet classmates. If you want to fly little and enjoy life, I'd say mac is a good place to go. Unfortunately the trouble with flight time is that if you want it you have to work for it. When I started there, I wasn't worried about building time, because I thought of it as the kind of job that you build time to get, but over time that changed. Finally, I saw too many captains looking for jobs at other companies and not really being able to find what they wanted. The hardest part of picking a job for me is deciding what I want to do... I would suggest that if you can do that and then find a company that matches your goals, do that. Don't go to MAC just because you want to stay at BNA. When I left, they had all the FOs that they needed at BNA anyway. Oh, and if you start in the caravan at 30k per year, and then go back to the right seat of the twin, you keep the caravan pay.