Thread: Jump Pilots!
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Kilgore Trout
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Livin' the dream

Originally Posted by rickt86 View Post

The hardest part of flying jumper for me has been dealing with local pilots, guys that ignore a unicom and fly right through a dropzone, and other locals who can not accept jump ops and have had a twin otter bomb down on the runway in front of them. I fly a 182 I try to make everyone happy, but I have caught my share of flack from local weekend warriors. Today I had a nice incursion with a hot headed guy with an anger problem, my DZO had to call the cops to put our plane away. Got mad about a busy pattern with some ultra lights and him. If you fly jumpers you would understand this from our end. I never put myself in a situation on my descent that I could not safely make the runway. PERIOD!
Dude, to be honest I don't quite get what you are saying here. I'd be pretty upset if a twin otter "bombed down" on the runway in front of me in certain conditions. Like if I was flying a standard pattern and was a "weekend warrior" doing what I was supposed to do pattern and radio wise, and the twin otter was'nt.

Based on reading your other thread in the Aviation Law section it seems like you actually fly out of a pretty busy place, maybe only on the weekends I don't know.

Someone else in this thread mentions taking the local pilots out and familiarizing them with your operations. That's cool, but really it's not their problem, it's their field too.

What do you mean you won't put yourself in a situation on your "descent where you could not safely make the runway"? I know of lots of descents to a safe, respectful traffic pattern where I could not make a runway. Basically almost all of them actually. To any runway anywhere.

In your other thread in the aviation law section you mention butting heads with a "tool" who cussed you out on the UNICOM. Yes, that is lame, but maybe he's had a midair, or lost friends to one, and gets upset by something he sees happening often at the airfield you share?

Be careful out there.