View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 PM
flyguy78
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2010
Default FAA claiming alcohol abuse

When I graduated college in 2001, I would go out with friends and have some drinks and decided to drive home. Within a year and eight months, I had 3 dui charges reduced to reckless driving between the ages of 23 and 24. It has been over six years since my idiotic actions and have decided to resume my flight training. After applying for a 1st class medical, I have gone through the paperwork process with the FAA. After sending them all of the court documents, they sent me the form requesting character letters, urine test and psycho evaluations. I told the psychiatrist that I had some wine with my birthday dinner the prior week and just had a drink 2 years prior to that. This was noted in the evaluation and sent to the FAA and they denied my medical due to "probable alcohol dependence, evidenced by continued use after adverse consequences". I acknowledge and have learned from my ignorant mistakes when I was younger and am inquiring how I can prove to the FAA that I do not have an alcohol dependence or abuse problem? What recommendations or course of action should I take to prove to the FAA that these were childish mistakes and I do not have any of those symptoms?
I would greatly appreciate any feedback.