Thread: UPT Question
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 04:02 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by floatflier86 View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but after reading around it seemed like a good place to ask some questions. I'm applying for a UPT slot to a few bases around me this year. I applied last year as well, however I wasn't selected.

I did get an interview at one base and I feel I was pretty close to being selected. Hopefully it works out this year. I really want this position. I was pretty disappointed last year. I live to fly and have always wanted to join the military. Here is my question;

I'm recently out of college, still living at home but looking to buy a place. There are some great deals on the market, but if I was to buy now, and if I am lucky enough to get selected for a slot, will I be able to afford the mortgage while I'm away for the two or so years of training? What are the expenses during training? Is there a fee for the barracks? Food? Equipment? I've asked this question a dozen times but never received a straight answer. Thanks in advance for the help.
Here's the pay chart. It's complicated, so I'll try to explain. We'll assume after OTS.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/mili...PayTable34.pdf

Basic Pay (O1, 2 or less, taxable): $2745.60

Basic Allowance for Subsistence (not taxable): $223.04
- You get this unless you are in a location where you must eat government meals (OTS, at sea, Afghanistan, etc). After OTS, it should be your choice when and if to eat at the mess hall. Those meals are cheap, if you eat every meal on base, the total for all meals should equal $223 each month.

Flight Pay: $125 (taxable).

Basic Allowance for Housing (non-taxable): Amount depends on where you live. You only get this if you live off base. Officers usually always can elect to live off base, in fact base housing is limited so you may not be able to live on base if you wanted to.

San Diego: $1785 (single)
Vance AFB: $792 (single)

Obviously this is highly variable depending on locale.

Once you get operational, more bonuses kick in, retention incentives and various hazard/hardship bonuses in combat zones.