View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Aussie Al
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Default Career changer advice please

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice on a career path as a career changer. I have spent many many years researching this change, I know the risks and there are many... and while I know I should wait until I have completed my PPL before I really jump into this (which I will) I would like anyone’s advice.

I'm 27 now, work as an engineer (with 4 year degree) in the mining industry (that I am far from passionate about) it pays well and gives me lots of time off, as I fly in and fly out. My rough plan is to spend the next 3 years getting certified up to CFII and then spending the following 2 years paying for multi time to give myself a bit of a competitive edge on getting that first job. For the record I know that’s not going to get me into a regional, but being in Canada I would plan to move to a northern operator or CFI.

What I would like advice on, is if I finish my PPL then get to CFI doing it part time in the next 3 years would I be disadvantaged from an employers perspective of paying for post training flying multi hours when I can? Secondly am I wasting my money paying for multi time to build hours? And what certificates would be worth while above CFI and MEI?

The reason I would like the 5 years is that I am working on a project with a 5 year deadline, and after 5 years I would be financially very comfortable, have my house paid off, no student loans no flying debt and be in as good a position as I ever will be to live off 20k a year for the next x years. Also working in mining having another 5 years experience will guarantee me a job at the drop of a hat, if and when furloughs happen or it just isn't working out how I expected it. Or would I be better off finishing my CFI then either starting to instruct or move up north when the opportunity arises?

Sounds stupid moving from one profession with one of the highest demands for qualified people to another with an oversupply of highly qualified individuals, but it's what I've always wanted to do. And even though I've seen family and friends go through ups and downs in aviation, I want to give it a shot.

I know there are a lot of what, ifs and buts, and the situation in Canada is different, but I really would appreciate anyone’s advice. Especially any career changers out there.

Cheers everyone