Thread: PBS Frontline
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 AM
wjl408
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: Director of Operations CE-750 Captain

[quote=winglet;681684]KC10 FATboy,

I agree with you that statistically flying is safer today. In the context of pilot experience, knowledge, skills, and fatigue the industry is less safe. Your source is any pilot who has been a first person witness to the airline industry's steadily diminishing concern given to safety especially in the last decade.

Although I'm not a huge fan of more regulation, it is the only way of leveling the playing field so that airlines can compete at a safe level. They have proven that they are incapable of self-regulation. Airlines once understood that an investment in safety above and beyond that required by regulation was simply good business. In contrast; today's airlines are commanded by short-time get-rich-quick merger/acquisition experts who spend their time at the helm padding their severance packages. They can only hope for no accidents on their watch because they have diverted all the former safety related assets to keep their near-bankrupt airlines afloat.

Regulated technology is the true champion of our current good fortune. Today's safety statistics are primarily the result of GPS moving map displays, FMS, TCAS, GPWS, LLWAS, EFIS, EICAS, aircraft system redundanies, etc. and not the sudden miraculous increase in skills and knowledge of 200 hour "ticket factory" novices in the airline cockpit.

The safety statistics are in spite of the reduction in the airline industry's concern for safety since deregulation. Regulation of hiring practices, fatigue, training and the prevention of outsourced maintenance is required. Look at the type of accidents that are occurring today:

DCA09MA027

DCA05MA003

DCA03MA022

Take Care...

Very well said, I agree completly. Experience is something that went out the door with deregulation.