View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
shdw
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Originally Posted by gestrich19 View Post
If you were pushing a shopping cart forward, with wheels that caster, while I was pulling the middle side of the cart, 90 degrees to your force, the cart would not turn in a circle
It would, if you continued to apply the same force constantly. You are discussing on pull of say 5 pounds. Well how bout you keep pulling with a constant 5 pound force. This would result in you constantly walking 90 degrees to the force ryan is applying to push the cart. The result would be a constantly changing direction otherwise known, a circle. Go test it and see.

This is why I thought the weather vane effect was needed as the redirection of lift only explains the change in flight path to me --not actual rotation around any axis.
There isn't a rotation around any axis to be explained.

To confuse matters, the center of pressure is usually located aft of the center to gravity therefore lifting pressure wouldn't rotate you in the direction you want to go anyways.
Not relevant, see above. Remember, the displacement of the AC vs the CG is countered by TD force. You increase TD force in a level turn don't you?