View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 03:47 PM
jcaplins
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2009

A few years ago I applied and was invited for an interview and to complete all the pre-req testing. I asked many questions about flying and being a trooper. I was lead to believe at first it would be no problem to get a flying gig. It was very much like a recruiter lying to my face.

I also asked when all the testing would be done a few months ahead of time, since they wouldn't have my exact schedule until a week or two in advance. I booked a trip for the entire duration they would be doing testing plus a couple extra days. A week before arriving, I find out i was scheduled for testing beyond my travel time. I called to rescheduled things and they blew me off, with a "nuthin we can do about it".

I then asked more questions about pilot minimums, and someone Finally says: "Just about every other trooper is a pilot and there is a huge waiting list to get a slot."

The minimum requirements for AST pilots is the same as commercial minimums.

So... 2 lies and I canceled the interview. Just enjoyed a vacation in Alaska.

Duty assignments and requests are based on seniority. You would most likely be assigned to Anchorage, Fairbanks, or (last one I forgot) for 2 years then sent of to the middle of nowhere.

The video promotions are pretty impressive. And even without a pilot slot, it looks like a cool gig (no pun intended).

(I hope I answered a question in there)