View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 06:43 PM
SUX4U
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: B756 FO

Originally Posted by Clocks View Post
Any person sitting on the hiring board that was a CFI will know this is true.

The CFI/dual given is not mandatory. But when you break it down, the big differentiators are probably (in no particular order):

-Total time
-Turbine PIC
-121 time
-135 time
-CFI time
-College degree
-Internal recommendations

Assuming you don't offend the people doing the interview and you can answer the basic technical questions, that's what you're going to get judged on. As hiring spools up the people with the most of those things will likely get hired first.
Not meaning to sound like I am picking this apart, but after spending a few rounds on the interview board at my previous airline I would like to expand on your above list. And mind you this only goes for regional level experiences... havent had the experiences of interviewing on the major level.

Total time is important, but we would rather see 121 time experience first. If we dont see that we would like to see Turbine 135 time. Ok, maybe you are a bit weak on that end... lets now look at your total and multi time (dual given helps ALOT here)!

So with just that brief run down of what regional recruitment and interview board members look at here is a catch. If you have previous 121 experience and you are interviewing at another 121 carrier.. whats the catch? Why would you leave one regional for another? I.e were you fired, released, etc?!? So 121 time is great for a applicant with a clean record and good intentions, but it can also spell trouble real fast for those with a smudged record.

135 time guys are great. very good experience in the thick of it all. Mostly humble guys ready to have a bit more stable life, and that is respected. But the question remains... are they going to fit into a dual crew environment? Most of the time, not a problem.

Total time/CFI's... they have some good time built up and some great life and death stories, but for the love of god guys please remember how to brief an approach, not teach it. Sometimes I found the more simple things would be over analyzed by this group leading them to melting down in an interview. So sometimes the numerous hours spent in the pattern staring off into the distance bored out of your mind, while the student is subconsciously trying to find a way to plow that plane into the ground can backfire.

Basically what I am getting at is, CFI is a great title to carry with you. Just make sure you take advantage of what you are doing at the time. Do not show up to an interview with the required hours thinking you are a shoe in. It will be very demanding to get the call over the next few years I have a feeling, so it should come as no surprise that you have to be at the top of YOUR game.

Lets not forget internal rec's are HUGE! I dont care who tells you otherwise. Who you know can never hurt in this industry.

As far as the college degree, it can never hurt to have it. A few years back it was not a requirement... but who knows about this next time around. Could be a different story. It for sure proves the point you can go the extra mile when it comes to book work/academics.

I hope my rant can be of some value to those wondering what those on the opposite side of the interview table are thinking about. It does not by any means represent the entire regional industries value of experience for new hires, just how my little group viewed our applicants at the time.

Best of luck!

SUX4U