View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 08:16 PM
bernouli
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Originally Posted by skork View Post
first off, time building is not an issue. I get easily about 400 hours of single engine PIC time a year for free. I am just wondering if i should spend my next amount of money on the multi to start chipping away at the multi time or should i do the CFI route because that is an unwritten rule about getting hired at the regional. also, if i need the CFI, do they want to see instruction time and how much? thanks for any insight.
this depends on what you want to ultimately do. multi time is important, not just for the resume', but for insurance req's of your potential employer as well. outside of the 121 world, mins are set by companies based on whatever their insurance provider requests. all the CFI time in the world won't get around that issue. these req's aren't set in stone however. they change from company to company. i have known some to get away with not getting a CFI ticket. right place, right time is the only explanation.

although being a CFI does give you an all around mastry of ground knowledge as well as the abiltiy to effectively teach new ppl, it doesn't really hold much water on a resume (if that's the only thing on it), outside of 121 during ridiculous hiring booms. you may, and many have, get lucky with a charter outfit on whatever field you are teaching on, but those days are few and far between during this period. things may be a little different after age 65.

25 hrs of multi time isnt' going to get you a job, especially now. it will open the door to new opportunities though. maybe you'll be at the right place and right time. who knows? your sister's friend's uncle's cousin's father may be looking for somebody to swing his gear in a king air some day. without the multi engine rating, that opportunity wouldn't even be an option.

*if you already have a decent amount of TT, i'd suggest getting the multi rating first. take that FWIW......