View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 09:53 AM
dojetdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV

Originally Posted by Cycle Pilot View Post
I'm thinking about replacing my rollerboard. I've been using the Costco bag for years now and it's been great until they recently "updated" the design. Now the Costco bag doesn't fit wheels first into most overhead bins. Plus, the handle is shorter which makes it a little more difficult to maneuver. This is a deal breaker for me since I commute coast to coast and my bag needs to be able to fit in the overheads.

I was wondering how everybody likes the PNT bags? I was thinking about getting the 22" computer bag. One website says the bag will only accommodate a 14 inch computer, but mine's a 15.4 inch screen. Has anybody had trouble fitting a larger laptop into this bag? Also, should I get the bag with or without the side pockets? Do they come in handy or do the zippers just break? Also, how do these bags hold up? The Costco bag has always been good about taking a beating and the zippers never break. Can you say the same about the PNT bag? I'm assuming the PNT bag is pretty good since the dang thing costs 300 bucks! Is the company pretty good about supporting their product?

Sorry about the mass amount of questions, but I want to cover all my bases before dropping such a big chunk of money for a bag.
Man o' man, you're gonna get a slew of answers from everybody as this topic is a frequent one.

Anyway, I'm going on 10 years with a PNS. The first five, it took a serious pounding as it had to go in the back with everybody else's bags. 3-5-7 times a day. Combined with the standard wear and tear of the job, dragging it up/down stairs on and off trains buses and subways back and forth to the crashpad. So the zipper handles took a beating, but the zippers themselves held up. The last five years I haven't had that problem as the aircraft has internal crew bag storage. I've only replaced the wheel once, and that was at the 9 year point.

The side pockets come in handy, in the long pocket you can get your jeans/khakis and shirt for the overnight, the short one can fit your workout shorts/shirt. Or whatever combination you can think of.

Overall, I've been happy with the bag as it's held up very well. Especially the handle as it seems to be a weak point on some other brands. But I have the metal framed bag, I guess the resin frame bag, although much lighter/cheaper, is a little weak where the handle goes in and can become damaged easy.

When I bought mine, it came with a 3 year warranty. Right before it expired, I sent it in for a "tune up" at no charge. Came back with new zipper handles and they straightened the frame as it got a little tweaked. You call them, they send you a loaner bag in a box. you put your bag in said box, and send it back to them. When they are done, reverse the process.

It seems guys I work with think the build quality of the bag has diminished over the last few years. I don't know, but looking at the new ones they've done things like put skid guards on the bottom to better protect from going up and down curbs where mine didn't have them.

On the computer issue, no idea. I use a netbook and have no problem. But when I had a 13" laptop, it went in easily with room to spare in summers. Winter, no so much.

YMMV.