Old 02-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Lighteningspeed
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: G550 Captain

Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
If that ever happens, I wonder if they'll allow SSBIs to count or if they'll require the simpler NALAC check for everybody. We are talking about government, so a Department of Redundancy Department isn't out of the question...

Regarding the military...you have to have a degree to be an officer, and have to be an officer to be a pilot (with exception of warrant officer positions). I don't think one can really equalize the qualification standards of the military for their leadership positions with civilian flying jobs.

Major airlines only "require" a degree inasmuch as its another screening qualification for HR....there's nothing regulatory about it. Regional airlines could "require" a bachelors or higher degree today for their newhires if they wanted to...
I know what you mean about the govt of redundancy. BTW I was a military pilot and an officer so I know what the requirements are for the military. You are right about waarant officers but most warrant officers I met during my tour all had at least an associate or Bachelors. They chose to be warrant officers because they did not want bureacratic responsibilities that goes along with being an officer. Each to his own.

I suspect as far as security clearance goes, there will probably be very little changes from current background investigations requirements for CASS approval, maybe a little more in depth. Who knows what direction the govt will take.