View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
2StgTurbine
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by Buckeye12 View Post
That does sound very logical in the expense difference... but, wouldn't one advantage of going to an aviation college be networking with other pilots and companies? I know that UND works with Jet Blue and Cape Air, and that could open your way into a job possibly.

UND Aerospace Partnership Could Land Students Jobs | WDAZ | Grand Forks, ND

In my opinion, networking is a big key into any job, and just by knowing people, you have a chance to get recognized and recommended. I don't know? I'm new with this and am just starting to stress about what college will benefit me the best.

Thank you for the advice!
The networking is good, in fact, I think about 5-10 UND graduates got hired at Cape Air a few months ago. The problem is, there are a lot more than 10 graduates a year with an aviation degree. You have to ask yourself if the easy networking an aviation degree provides is worth the $100,000 price tag.

You can network without going to an aviation university, it is harder, but you can do it. And remember, no matter how many contacts you have, when you graduate, you will still be a low time pilot. It would be more beneficial to not get a non aviation degree and spend that extra money you would save on a ton of time building. For the money you save, you could buy a C-150! Fly across the country and talk to everyone you meet. That way you will network, build a lot of time, and have a lot more fun.