View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 01:27 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
I think they can. I'll have to check though.
I remember a thread on here from some time ago about **instructing** from the backseat. It seems fishy.

Yes but then again, a lot of this time in someone's logbook is a sure sign that some funny (albeit legally correct) logging is going on. Interviewers are not idiots, they know that it does not take 50 hours to give someone a BFR or a checkout, and it is a gray area. If I were an MEI baby-sitting a couple of guys doing their time-building from the back seat purely for insurance purposes, I doubt seriously that I would log any of the time at all.
Well...legal is legal I guess. I mean just because a guy is rated doesn't mean that he can't be getting some instruction obviously like you said, on the other hand I was just asking about the legality of logging the instruction time or if there was something that said that a MEI couldn't be giving instruction unless it was for a specific rating or BFR/IPC (each of which ony requires 1 hour correct?) Very confusing!

You wouldn't log the stuff from the backseat but what would you log if you were sitting in my right seat (I'm ME rated and let's say that I'm current and everything - not a BFR or IPC required) and we are just flying from KSEE to KNLC for a hamburger Would you log MEI time?

USMCFLYR