With The Resistance
jungle
With The Resistance
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2006
  • Position
    Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat
Quote: No. I think you're talking about Cap and Trade. Big business is already figuring out ways to game that system.

Taxes have been used with great success in the past to modify behavior. Gore's idea was to replace the income tax all together with a carbon tax.

A fairly distributed tax on everyone's carbon footprint - individuals and business alike. The long view: incentives for conservation and renewable energy. I'm not deluding myself that this will happen but I thought it was a visionary idea.

Not at all. Here's a guy who has the courage of his convictions. A man who puts his money where his mouth is. You speak as if his success was assured.
So where is the cheaper energy you allude to?
I'm sure you are all over modifying the behaviour of others, but you do not understand that you have been taken in by what grifters call a long con.

Spotting a long con may be difficult if your idealism and will to control others overwhelms common sense, that most uncommon of virtues.

Most of us who bear the major brunt of taxation understand quite clearly that it has mostly bought us more debt, much more debt than would be prudent and little else. The free market already provides great incentives for energy conservation and investment in future energy sources, forcing people to purchase inefficient programs at the point of a gun will never alter the available technology.

Victims of long cons often don't report them. It would cause a lot of embarrassment and not reflect well on the victim. People often find it hard to admit that they have been taken in by a confidence game.