View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
bcrosier
Eats shoots and leaves...

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Didactic Synthetic Aviation Experience Provider

Since I'm always happy to help someone else out, let me save you some time and effort.

I'll sign over $45K of unsecured debt to you, and you can to straight to living above a drug den, shopping at thrift stores, eating Ramen noodles, and paying off a pile of debt. Meanwhile, you can get a job as an assistant manager at Wendy's, eventually move to manager, and then into a regional position. You'll spend more time at home, probably make more money, and spend less time collecting unemployment than if you go into aviation (flight).

ATC is a decent option, though I hear about the caustic culture that exists within the FAA on the ATC side. I have a friend who is two years away from retirement as a controller - he'll be 46 (he co-op'd while in college). He'll have a good government retirement and then start on a second career in something he really enjoys, having the assurance the he can pay the bills with the retirement from his first career.

As far as instructing and ATC, thanks to Mary "mentally stillborn" Schiavo, there are now restrictions about being able to instruct at or near the facility you control at, due to perceived conflict of interest (like you would give the 152's at your school preferential handling). This brought to you by the same genius that decided that controllers riding along in the cockpit made too damn much sense and eliminated it.