Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Sputnik
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Petting Zoo

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
You get incentive pay because the job you do is dangerous. They get incentive pay for the same reasons. You get more than they do because of your education, training, rank, responsibility, etc.... The same reasons that the old grizzled Major (who has made all the required gates) gets more than the brand new 2ndLt. USMCFLYR
I'm guessing here, but I think what he was saying is that a guy with the exact same experience gets the same flight pay if he's operating Talon II's in the weeds or if he's sitting at a desk in TACC. It's gate monthes, not necessarily what you're doing.

There's no right answer for flight pay for UAV operators. Selfish take, if they'll dive on that gernade (taking the assignment so I don't have to) I'm happy for them to have the same flight pay. Bigger picture, there is no way you could have pilots and UAV babies doing the exact same job with one set getting flight pay and the other not. Biggest picture, when I sit back and imagine what they must look at, day after day, with awesome optics, I got to feel they must pay a high mental price for their duty. Read plenty of stories about PTSD rates amongst them to believe it's real.

Just my opinion, I'm totally ok with remote drivers in NV, NM, or whereever getting the same flight pay I do.