View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 PM
9ESOCCFI
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: C525

I attended MTSU and finished in spring '07 with my degree in aviation. It may be too early in my career to regret getting a degree in aviation, we will see though.

My path is a little different. All during college I worked at an FBO fueling aircraft. It was the best job I have ever had. It was fun, got to be around airplanes, and the networking was great. I got to ride along on some King Air trips and noticed that I like the corporate flying. After graduation I applied to Pinnacle as a crew scheduler thinking I could get my foot in the door. The day after moving back to Memphis I got a call for an interview and got a job as a 9E CS. I did that for 4 months then became a sector manager in the dispatch department. My foot is still in the door there. I have my CFI/CFII as well. I work 4 days on and 4 days off making $37K per year. On my off days I instruct and do corporate flying in Cirrus aircraft.

During my 2.5 years at Pinnacle I have come to realize that a Part 121 pilot is not my long term goal. When you get to the regionals you will understand, I am not even in the pilot ranks and see how bad it is. I realize I may have to fly for a regional to build jet time to get a lucrative corporate job down the road. That is the reason I am still working for Pinnacle. I already have a FO slot when we start hiring again. I have $2500 left to pay on my school loans then I will be done.

I guess what I am trying to say is what ever path you decide on keep a few things in mind:

First, make sure you can support yourself and your family if you have one. That should come first over any shelfish desire to fly. For me it is a 40 hr/week job and flying on the side.

Second, networking is so very important. If you rub someone the wrong way or burn a bridge, those people talk to other people and you start to have a bad reputation that will prevent you from getting a job in an area. Be nice to people and stay in touch with everyone. A line job at an FBO is good way of doing that.

Third, make your self marketable. Meaning, get that CFI/CFII/MEI when you get to that point. Do not pen in flight time though. Some people get away with it but you do not want to be the person to get caught.

I hope all this helped. MTSU was a good program. The Boro stunk though. Sorry if you find spelling and grammatical errors. It is 2am. Sorry to hear about Kiffin leaving UT too.