Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Deuce130
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 777 FO

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
It isn't about whether your life is more valuable than theirs - and I'm sure NO ONE insinuated that. You get incentive pay because the job you do is dangerous. They get incentive pay for the same reasons. You get more than they do because of your education, training, rank, responsibility, etc.... The same reasons that the old grizzled Major (who has made all the required gates) gets more than the brand new 2ndLt. If you want to call this skill set and longevity - than it just just a difference in wording that we are talking about; I'm pretty sure we are saying the same thing here.
No - in my opinion the UAV flyers should not get the same pay without taking the same risks. Also - all of those things that you don't care about like flight suits, patches, WINGS, and such - those WERE/ARE suppose to be honors bestowed upon the werer for doing things and putting themselves at risk above and beyond. I suppose you think just anybody ought to get to wear a Purple Heart or Silver Cross too? How about a Special Forces Beret or a Trident? No....we aren't all the same. Those who made it through UAV training don't deserve to wear the same set of wings that YOU are wearing. They deserve their OWN set of wings (which it sounds like they got), and I don't deserve to wear them or their patches or anything else bestowed upon that community until I complete their training program.
I really hope you come to understand that.

USMCFLYR
I disagree that ACIP is any kind of danger pay. I also disagree with your assessment concerning flight suits and patches. I'll give you the wings - they are "merit badges" of a kind. Huge stretch on your part to imply that, b/c I don't care who gets to wears flight suits or leather jackets, I think everyone should get purple hearts and/or other medals. That's just a straw man to knock down.