Thread: Wow!
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 PM
the King
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: JS32 FO

I can't tell if it's one photo or a composite image. However, after flying down to PAP recently, I could certainly believe this happening. No radar, mass confusion due to the earthquake, and tons of extra traffic have created a real heads-up environment there.

Here's how it could happen. The C-17 landed and was requested to go long. It turns around and waits at the UN ramp (far eastern pavement). The MU-2 lands and short intending to get off at the taxiway (see the Follow-Me truck waiting). The C-17 is cleared to main ramp as soon as the MU-2 is on the ground. Meanwhile, the bizjet on final is closer than the controller thought, or the controller forgot about him, etc. Either way, it looks like he might be going around. Totally believable. There are more scenarios like it.

One of the last times we went in, a funny thing happened when we got ready to depart. We were taxiing behind a Navajo, who was following an AA-767. The 767 went all the way down to the end of 28, and the Navajo turned around with about 7000ft for T/O on 28. He seemed a little surprised when he saw a JS-32 right behind him even though we were all on the same freq. After he turned around and started taxiing further back, we cleared at the GA ramp to turn around, and the Navajo got takeoff clearance. All this time, AA is just now ready to go, so we have to wait. As soon as they got clearance, they respond that they have bad numbers and are waiting for something from the mothership to check out so they can leave. They take at least 2 mins still on the runway before they can go. Naturally, no one can take off or land right behind a 767 so more waiting. Finally, we get cleared to depart, expedited because while all this is happening one guy is doing 360 turns on downwind abeam the numbers and another guy just joined downwind. The joys of flying to an airport with no radar, hard-to-understand controllers, and US pilots used to our airspace. Makes me appreciate home.