Thread: ATPs required for FOs... Senate next week.

Burlcfii , 03-07-2010 04:37 PM
Line Holder
Burlcfii
Line Holder
close
  • Joined APC
    Feb 2010
  • Position
    CJ2+ Captain, Part 91
Quote: This bill has far reaching effects. I feel that if it passes the career that many of us seek may one day be restored. If it fails then ten years from now the only place to have a reasonable flying career will be overseas. This bill can create the barrier to entry that is so needed in this industry. I mean this sincerely.
i agree that in a way this will be a good thing, however it will also not be so great. It is good because i feel it may force airlines such as Colgan to increase pay above food stamps, because most ATP's wont fly for such insulting wages.

on the other hand some of us, myself included dont meet the ATP requirements, however have been flying for years. Personnally i couldn't afford to work as an instructor full time once i got out of college. I had to get a higher paying job. I had to resort to instructing part time for years. Now that i am in a place to make the career change my time is still holding me back.

In my opinion it should be up to the airlines to decide who they hire. although they are all looking to pay pilots like fast food cooks, i would think they will look at lower time pilots with a close eye because they wouldn't want the added liability. "strickly my opinion"