Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 02:40 PM
CRJ-200
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006

Hi J - We're just about the same age; I'm no airline pilot, just a PPL student (at the moment) but here's what I've found reading these fourms for a long time...

First off, don't join the air force just so you don't have to pay for training and/or as a stepping stone to the airline pilot life. The military trains you fast and hard, and you just won't make it with that attitude; plus, you're joining the armed forces for the wrong reason. If military flying is what you want, and you want to serve your country then go for it. But joining just to save some cash just won't cut it.

If you choose become an airline pilot in the aviation world, find a good FBO and do you flight training there. Avoid all these Academies and fast-track "you'll be an airline pilot in 6 months - guaranteed!" jokes. Your FBO will get you to the same spot at a fraction of the cost; you will be a flight instructor and learn while you build hours instead of paying an airline to let you work for them. Get a 4-year college degree - the airlines say they're prefered, but in reality they're completely necessary. A lot of guys say not to get an aviation degree. I'm planning on it and I know a lot of great pilots who did (I'm interested in aviation more than any other subject you could major in in college)... it's all up to you.

After you're a flight instructor get a job at a good regional airline. Where you go from there is completely up to you. Me... I'm shooting for cargo flying; my sights are set on that FE panel at FedEx or UPS. Wherever you go is your choice.

I hope this helps ya. (All the actual airline pilots - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Last edited by CRJ-200; 11-06-2006 at 04:49 PM.