View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 02:51 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by propfails2FX View Post
USN, USCG, and USMC fleet flying are desk jobs with flying privileges. Not sure about AD USAF. TRACOM is a little more flying centric.

Falcon (FA20) pilots at my unit have been averaging 15 hours, or about 5 flights a month at home since last summer. More flying to be had on two week deployments (about 2 a year).

Lots of awards to be written, spreadsheets to be filled in, emails to be answered, and taskers to be completed.

If you're cool with this ground job to flying ratio (I sort of am, still beats working for a living) military aviation is an awesome place to be.
In my past community I could spend a total of 6 hours for a 1.0-1.3 hr flight. After that near full day for that litttle flight time I still had a regular full time job with the ground duties that propfails alludes too. Even when on 6-9 month deployment - the flying increases - maybe flying twice a day - and SOME of the mundane paperwork might get left behind for a little while (don't worry - it is still collecting in your inbox whether it be on your desk or in your Outlook account). There is no doubt that military flying involves a lot more than just strapping on an airplane.

I wholly support the deep soul searching before joining the miltiary. I believe there are many misconceptions about military flying and the duties involved - both CONUS and OCONUS. Even if you only spend your initial commitment (10 years now?) and then get out and pursue some other career (airlines, business, law, etc...) then I wholly support that person too and would never look down on them. That individual has given more in those years than many others will in a lifetime and I appauld them for it, thank them for their service, and pat them on the back on the way out the door.

When I was in the FRS, my class had a grizzled LCDR going through a Cat III or IV syllabus with us. He called the class together on late afternoon for a meeting at the O'club at NAS Cecil Field. Come to find out that he just wanted to sit down with each of us and make sure that we each knew what we were getting into by choosing this line of work. It was funny when he looked at each of the 3 Marines in the class and said "I don't think we ever have to worry about you [.....] guys, but the rest of you better get your head on straight" I guess in the GUlf War he had been around some fellow pilot(s?) that all of the sudden had a change of heart when it came time to do the job they had been trained for. I don't have patience for that type of person myself.

USMCFLYR