View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 05:18 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by forgot to bid View Post
How much flight time does a carrier pilot get on a 6-month cruise? Deployment? Whatever you call it.
Depends on the airframe. A typical strike/fighter guy can accumulate 1500 hours during his initial obligated service. That is why most majors require 1000-1300 TPIC. Other airframes usually get more time.

And speaking of the Navy, I think one of the Navy IPs on here said about 50-60% of pilots are going to the helicopters, is that the case?
Given the number of helos we have, that sounds about right. If you don't like helos, join the AF.

What about the USAF and UAVs, how many pilots are going to that? A Captain I flew with not too long ago said the number was over 50% and his son was flying them out of Vegas. How long are you committed to UAVs or any plane?
The realistic number I have heard is about 10% or less, but some UPT classes may get hit harder than others. A lot of UAV pilots got switched from other airplanes, or their guard/reserve unit converted to UAV's.

All services generally have about a ten year commitment for pilots, including training. The have not come up with a different (lower) commitment for UAV pilots but I imagine they will if they eventually go to a "UPT Light" for unmanned folks. the pilot community would like to stick with standardized training for all pilots, but I'm sure the bean counters will eventually force the issue.