View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Depends on the airframe. A typical strike/fighter guy can accumulate 1500 hours during his initial obligated service. That is why most majors require 1000-1300 TPIC. Other airframes usually get more time.

Given the number of helos we have, that sounds about right. If you don't like helos, join the AF.

The realistic number I have heard is about 10% or less, but some UPT classes may get hit harder than others. A lot of UAV pilots got switched from other airplanes, or their guard/reserve unit converted to UAV's.

All services generally have about a ten year commitment for pilots, including training. The have not come up with a different (lower) commitment for UAV pilots but I imagine they will if they eventually go to a "UPT Light" for unmanned folks. the pilot community would like to stick with standardized training for all pilots, but I'm sure the bean counters will eventually force the issue.
I thought the commitment was 10 years AFTER winging? I remember the **good 'ole days**. My commitment was 4 years after winging. I'm not even sure if I could have made a 10 year commitment. I gotta hand it to those guys nowdays.

Bunk - 50+ hr months My biggest month EVER was 45 hrs and I tried, boy did I try

I'm pretty sure that every community out there beats out the strike fighter community in the Navy and Marine Corps, but I'd like to see some type of spreadsheet on it because I don't really know for sure except through informal conversations.

USMCFLYR