View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 06:11 AM
ExAF
Get's Every Day Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Retired
Default Troll

Originally Posted by CaptFuzz View Post
My advice, from my own personal experience, would be to be cautious about joining the military.

Killing people for a living should be something that disturbs you. There's a lot of cliches repeated often by many with a wide variety of motivations that serve to distance all of us, military and civilian, from the full effect of the use of military violence. There's all sorts of things about "heroes" "freedom" and "something bigger than you" that are repeated so often that they are simply assumed to be true, and people who challenge them are quickly vilified, so we don't question them.

My advice to someone considering joining the military for any reason, to include furthering a career as a pilot, is to not sacrifice your humanity for anything, to include "patriotism, "service," and "your country" as much as personal goals.

If the thought of killing people disturbs someone, but they have taken time to think about this and feel that despite this it is still justifiable and necessary, I disagree with them on some things but I can still respect that. The people who join the military and relish the chance to "kill bad guys" are more a danger to free society than they are defenders of freedom.
Don't Feed the Trolls please.