View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 08:11 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
Well, strike/figher guy versus prop guy. My best month was during OEF, November 2001 I logged 121 hours in that month. Best FRS month was 70 hours during FCLP/CQ.

At the end of my first sea tour, I just broke 1300 hours total. I logged around 275 hours my first deployment and around 400 on my second. I had about 200 out of flight school. I spent 12 months on two deployments and 3.5 years with VRC-30. So in 2.5 years of non deployment, I logged around 425 hours, about 170 hours a year.

I know while I was at VRC-30 as a DH, we had a few JO's finish their 3 year tour with under 1000 hours total. Just one or two, most had between 1000-1300 hours total. I think part of the reason I had what I had was for my first two years, we flew nights at the boat and thus flew many an hour in the night FCLP pattern. Once we went day only, the FCLP time was cut by at least 3/4.
I can't imagine getting that much time in CQ/FCLP. I don't have my logbooks in front of me right now but I know that would be a lot of 0.5s going round and round.
I finished my first 3.5 fleet tour (including two WestPac deployments) with 900 hrs in type and that is including RAG hrs. My first deployment I got 150 hrs and my second 120 hrs. I was a land based 'A' guy though and I know that the 'C' model boat guys and the Aviano based 'D' guys got less sorties usually, but many more hours. The 'Ds' in Aviano flew more on one mission than I might in a week!

FlyBoyd - thanks for the update. I certainly didn't know that the services were different either. It is a leap of faith to give up such a chuck of time without knowing what awaits. Again - thanks to you that chose that path.

ExAF - I saw some in other threads that the one poster in question seems to already be a member of the Armed Forces. If those feelings are his/her true feelings then I would consider that person to be a stain to his/her service and fellow Airmen, and if not an imposter.

USMCFLYR