View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Next thought:

You need 1500 PIC turbine to be competitive in the airline market if you are military. For airline wannabes, the quickest/best way to do that is with an ANG/Reserve Heavy job. You get to pick the airframe, the place you live, and all you are waiting on is the pace of the upgrade...which is sometimes slower in the ANG due to the wealth of experience...you aren't needed as an AC or IP like they sometimes are in the active units.

On the other hand, even a guy who gets into a fighter unit--active or guard-- can probably plan on a 450-600 hours in a 3 year tour. If he gets a follow on the training unit (UPT) or an ops unit he will likley have 1000-1200 hours. Add a conversion factor and he/she is probably in the zone. 10 years active means getting hired at 29-32 at an airline, and sticking in the ANG for 10 more insures a retirement at 60, furlough insurance, and the (absolutely glorious) opportunity to enjoy the perks of being a fighter pilot (or any military aviator) while also being an airline pilot. I had weeks where I got to fly my Navion, an F-15, and a 727 the same week (never did swing 3/3 but did 2/3 in one day), and it was a blast. It was busy and challenging but a lot of fun too.

Key to success is play the game to win. Go into the military like you want to go to Weapons School, be a squadron commander, and then be chief of staff. That way, if you find out you can't get out, or if it turns out you relish the military, you won't go wrong. On the other hand, if you sandbag for your career you may find no reserve unit will want you and the airlines shun you too. The simple question they would ask is "you never worked hard for them, why should we think you would work hard for us?..." As long as you work in such a way they can never ask that question, you'll do fine whatever route you ultimately choose...