View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 AM
CaptFuzz
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by forgot to bid View Post
Dear Lord, Captfuzz, this ain't the huffington post and while they may appreciate your pacifism most of us appreciate those willing to serve and what they're willing to do and support those thinking about joining.
forgot to bid, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I was trying to share what honest advice I would give to someone considering joining the military. When I joined, it was because I wanted to serve, and because I was willing to give my life for something bigger than me and to protect others. That never changed. I still am, but I never really questioned all the slogans and cliches about military service, and it didn't benefit anyone involved (the military, myself, or anyone else) that I ignored those questions.

I wasn't willing to let the military convince me that the person I was fighting against was less human than me, or that a foreigner's life was less valuable than that of an American. That other person is probably more like me than they are different. They have their commendable traits and their less than commendable ones, and they are probably also convinced that what they're doing is the right thing and for the greater good.

If someone recognizes that and still believes it can be justifiable and necessary to kill them, then I can respect that even if I may not fully agree, and I can understand the attitude and mental state necessary to do that. There are plenty of people I served with that I know are trying to do what's right, and I respect them for it. I'm also well aware that, despite my best attempts, my understanding of how to live a just life will never be perfect nor will I have an exclusive claim to the truth.