View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Bascuela
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: UAL 756 FO
Default IFR Obstacle Departure Procedures

Question One:

When an IFR airport has an obstacle departure procedure and specifies a “climbing right turn to 3000,” …exactly what is the lowest altitude that this turn may be started? Note this is not “Turn right as soon as practicable.” AIM 5-2-7 b1 says “Unless specified otherwise …based on the pilot crossing the departure end of the runway at least 35 feet above the departure end of runway elevation, climbing to 400 feet above the departure end of runway elevation before making the initial turn.” So is a climbing turn “specified otherwise”? May I began this turn 35 feet above the departure end of the runway or do I have to wait until 400 AGL? Of course this is not considering pilot judgment turning at low altitude. If the ODP states “turn as soon as practicable” then what is the lowest HAA that the turn may begin?

Question Two:

If a runway is listed as “NA” on the obstacle departure – then when operating under an IFR clearance is there ANY possible way to still depart from that runway. One idea that I heard was that if weather conditions permit (you can see the mountain 2 miles off the departure end of the runway) then you may still depart that runway under an IFR clearance (uncontrolled airport) and VISUALLY avoid the obstacle to get on the ODP route. This would make sense, but from a legal standpoint is it ok to takeoff from a runway not authorized while operating under an IFR clearance?