Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 PM
afterburn81
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: A320

Originally Posted by ysslah View Post
Most people I know of built their hours by flight instructing before they went on to the regionals. In most airplanes used for flight instruction, you would be a bad pilot if you fly in known icing, no?

what a load of S.

Exactly....... If they are going to mandate specifics to the hours you need then you are going to have to find a way to get those specific hours. I'm sure there are many people here that can honestly say that they actually bridged the gap between flight instructing in a single engine basic aircraft and flying a high performance technologically advanced machine full of moms, dads, sisters, brothers, and children etc. I myself am one of them.

Call me an idiot but from the day I got my commercial license and thought maybe one day I would like to fly for a living I was under the impression that I needed an ATP before I could get hired by an air carrier. (I'm not sure where I got it but I remember someone telling me that was the case) Instructing in an arrow or seminole all day wasn't really going to expose me to much of what I would expect one day flying lots of people around. So I ventured outside the box and decided to get a variation of hours to include in the journey to 1500. I was living each day as if I needed to have all of the qualifications that this new bill proposes a pilot to have. I believed in not only quantity but quality. It really wasn't that hard when I think about it.

Did you honestly think this whole thing was going to be a cake walk? And everyone complains that the job isn't very rewarding anymore. Of course not. You only get as much out of something as you put in. I lived by my fathers saying "you gotta pay to play". Work hard and one day it will pay off. The problem is, not enough people want to pay their dues. The airlines know this and take full advantage of it.