Old 03-18-2010, 06:04 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by dudas3 View Post
So let me see if I'm reading this correctly. Congress is trying to pass a provision requiring the FAA to make a rule change for FO's by 12/31/2011 (End of next year). If the FAA does not do this within that time frame then the minimum requirement for FO's automatically goes to an ATP? What about the specifically-prescribed conditions stated in this article for an ATP? Are they referring to the already written requirements for obtaining an ATP or are they planning on coming up with something different?Next we come to the part of, "Demonstrate the ability to." What in the world does that mean? Does that mean that we are now going to have PTS's for these new requirements, more written tests, or will the fact that you have flown for a regional, even though you may be furloughed at this time, going to be enough to meet these requirements?Finally we come to the flight training in, "Difficult flying conditions." Once again, what are we talking about? Are we talking about icing, very busy Class B (i.e. JFK, EWR, LGA, ORD, LAX, etc.), IMC, emergency type training?

I agree with NoBeta that these statements are way too vague. There is no where to go to and get any information on these changes, and as far as I know there have been only two articles that I have found which even discuss the changes. Granted this bill sounds like it is a proposal of rulemaking to the FAA so specifics are probably not available yet, but some of these changes could affect quite a few pilots. My concern is for those of us who are furloughed, through no fault of our own in many cases, who meet the 800 hours, but who may now not technically be qualified to do the jobs we have already done because of these additional requirements. Will there be any type of Grandfather clause for those of us with 121 experience? This bill is just filled with way to many questions.
If the FAA fails to devise a new rule by 12/2011, FO's will need an ATP. The "specific conditions" just refer to the existing ATP requirements.

It would actually be easier on the airlines (and noob pilots) if they just go with the ATP...it will be cheaper and easier to get an ATP as a CFI/MEI than jump through some of the hoops implied in the 800 hour proposal.

The FAA will have to devise the details of the 800-hour rule. Congress did not attempt to get that far into the weeds...

It might just be logged time in specific conditions.

It might require dual-received and endorsement(s).

It might end up a whole new rating with it's own PTS, checkride, and maybe written (I suspect they will just require the ATP written)...TAA Commercial, 121 Commercial, or something like that.