View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Andy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: guppy CA

Originally Posted by OscartheGrouch View Post
Andy,

I do wonder if you ever get any sleep! Especially on the age 60 issue you must have some sleepless nights.

In reference to your "compromise" it would seem very beneficial to me since I am 47. However, your safety argument is once again trumped by the age discrimination issue. Continuing to make pilots retire when they have the abilities to remain employed is just plain wrong. It is interesting that this compromise would seem to give you at 45 all the advantages and none of the risks.
No, I don't sleep much. I have multiple projects that I constantly juggle; they involve work, pleasure and family life. No big thing; once you adjust it's pretty easy.
This particular issue does not keep me awake at night; it is merely a hobby.
Now that I log over 100K miles/yr as an airline passenger, I definitely do not want someone over 60 in charge of any aircraft where I'm on board.

The problem is, many age 60 pilots are on the verge of losing their abilities to remain employed. Unfortunately, our current system does not do a good job of screening this out - not the annual checkrides and certainly our current class I physicals.

I see that you wish to make it sound like this compromise would be my wet dream. Wrong. If certain opportunities present themselves, I will quit (retire) United shortly after returning from military leave of absence. I have acquired skills other than simply operating expensive pieces of heavy equipment. (With the way that things are going, bulldozer operators will make more money than 757 Captains). Even if I were to remain at United, I plan on moving to Mexico, Belize, or some other central/south American country with my wife after retirement; the cost of living is low so my savings will be more than enough to live on. By the way, since you're keeping score, I turn 46 in 11 days - I have no veiled agenda here; I am completely open as to my entire background.

I posted this as an olive branch in trying to find a middle ground on this highly divisive issue. I will not be championing a change - not now, not in 5 years, not in 10 years, not ever.
And if you think that the rest of the country is concerned about pilots' mandatory retirement age of 60, I'd suggest that you put down the crack pipe. The general public doesn't care. There are far bigger issues that concern them; they aren't shedding any tears for 'those highly paid' pilots.

Now, back to lunch at my desk.