View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Dougdrvr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: retired

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
Lastshot,

My flying background started when my Guard unit hired me to become a pilot. I went to UPT, then on to F-100 fighter training, and returned to my unit to fly the Super Sabre. 5 years later we transitioned to the A-10, which I flew from 1979 until the day I retired, which was the last week of 1999. During that time, I got hired by Pan American, left there for UPS, which I also left, and finally ended up at FedEx, where my last flying position was as a captain on our MD-11's. At age 60, I went to the back seat of the 727 and did that until two years ago when I had a heart problem. Since then I've been out on long term disability, and will remain that way until I retire 51 weeks from now.

The major differences between what you're trying to do and my situation back then are: 1) I was 26 years old when I went to pilot training (but the max age limit back then was 26&1/2); 2) After returning from Vietnam, I had joined that unit as a SSGT weapons loader, and had been there for almost 2 years prior to applying for the pilot training slot; 3) I was not a pilot when I was selected for OCS and then UPT.

Again, good luck.

JJ
Your Guard unit had F-100s until 1979? If you don't mind me asking,where was that?