View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Herkflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Left seat of a little plane

Originally Posted by Lighteningspeed View Post
Yeah, that is interesting. How is flying an additional hour contribute to improve the current duty and rest requirement? I thought the whole point was that we, as pilots are already overworked and fatigue is an insidious form of performance deterioration. I am definitely against increasing 8 to 9 flying hours per day. That would defeat the whole purpose of limiting the maximum duty hours per day to 12. Besides, like you said, that would negate the need for additional pilot hiring.
You guys aren't taking the proposed rule changes as a whole. They will be FAR superior to what we have now. Yes, you will be able to fly up to 9 hours with a 2-man crew--but only if your signin is within very strict windows in your local base time, respecting circadian rhythms.

Overall, these new proposed rules, if implemented, will be a great improvement. For starters, they are actually based on science, not just some arbitrary number jotted down in the 1950s. Second, for early signins or late in the night duty days, they are actually far more restrictive than the FARs we have right now (which strangely enough, are rarely criticized by the same posters bewailing the proposed FT changes).

These proposed FT/DT changes will be good for the pilot profession, and actually drag the FARs into the 21 century.

Lament it all you like, I guarantee you that a year after they are implemented (if ever) we will all be glad for the change.