View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Lighteningspeed
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: G550 Captain

Originally Posted by Herkflyr View Post
You guys aren't taking the proposed rule changes as a whole. They will be FAR superior to what we have now. Yes, you will be able to fly up to 9 hours with a 2-man crew--but only if your signin is within very strict windows in your local base time, respecting circadian rhythms.

Overall, these new proposed rules, if implemented, will be a great improvement. For starters, they are actually based on science, not just some arbitrary number jotted down in the 1950s. Second, for early signins or late in the night duty days, they are actually far more restrictive than the FARs we have right now (which strangely enough, are rarely criticized by the same posters bewailing the proposed FT changes).

These proposed FT/DT changes will be good for the pilot profession, and actually drag the FARs into the 21 century.

Lament it all you like, I guarantee you that a year after they are implemented (if ever) we will all be glad for the change.
Just so there is no misunderstanding here. I am all for the new Duty and Rest requirement rule. Having said that I am against increasing 8 to 9 flight hours per day. 9 hour flight per day rule only benefit wide body senior people. I think 8 hours of flying per day is fatiguing enough. No need to add an hour on top of that just so senior widebody people can make that extra bucks.

What I am for is limiting the Maximum duty day to no more than 12 hours, minimum overnight no less than 11 hours, rest period should not start while waiting for the hotel van, it should start when you check in at your hotel, among other things.