View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 PM
SunDog
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: AT-301-600G

Originally Posted by TheReelDeel33 View Post
What I'm getting at is if you could find a job crop dustin with less than 1,000 hours i'd be surprised, but even if you did it might not be the best idea to take it.
please see my other posts on crop dusting, and check out the folks over at sprayplane.org

crop dusting is NOT a low-time, hour-building job. it shouldn't ever be lumped in with banner/glider tow and pipeline/traffic patrol and flying jumpers and such. it is not even a part 91 job, (see part 137) it requires special training including a state pesticide applicators license. expect to spend a year or two working on the ground as a mixer/loader before getting into a spray plane.

It is a very difficult job to get into, and requires a dedication. there are only about 3000 aerial application pilots in the country. The pay can be quite variable (the pilot is usually paid a percentage of the take) The season is short but you spend all summer away from home, much like commercial fishing.

however, it is a great career with the good potential for starting your own business if you want to pursue it for the long run.

you'll need to first convince an operator to take you on as an apprentice, plan on working on the ground at least one season, usually two. find one that operates at least one piston sprayplane.

then you will need to convince an insurance company to insure you in the spray plane. they are going to want to see a lot of tailwheel time, at least 100 hours. more importantly than time is tailwheel landings. 200 hours with 100 landings isn't going to cut it, but 100 hours with 600 landings might.

then you will have to have a training plan, something like this one: http://sundog.family.coppick.net/hom...edirects=0&d=1

notice there are a lot of hours flying an expensive aircraft with no revenue in that training plan. it's going to cost the operator a lot to get you insured. also notice that there is an awful lot of pesticides knowledge you need to acquire. flying is not the primary part of this job.

I'll address the some of the other issues of your paragraph in another post.

Last edited by SunDog; 03-30-2010 at 09:50 PM.