Thread: Retirement
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 08:54 PM
preludespeeder
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: XJT F/O

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
Honestly I am not here to crush anyone's dreams. My aim is to inform others of the true price of their choice. It is easy to lie to ourselves in regards to aviation. I think it is important for everyone to take an honest stock of what they are sacrifying for and what their true returns will be.

Not everyone here will make make it to a FedEx, most will not. Your position might be that one "can" make it to their dreams and I would support that statement. My mission is to provide the information on what happens if you don't make it. What are the risks. Where will most of us end up? Unlike most other professions the investment required in aviation is very high. It takes a small fortune and many wasted years before one can even have the right to have their resume glanced at by a reputable company. Even then the odds of actually getting hired are very slim and getting slimmer every year, . In order to make an informed decision I think everyone even working pilots needs to know the risks and price they are paying.

Someone on this post mentioned that their parents were teachers and are now retired and doing well. Often I like to use the example of teachers since most assume that they don't do very well. The poster gave evidence that thanks to a well funded state sponsored retirement plan they are doing well. Teachers earn a lower middle class income from almost day one and have every holiday and the entire summer off. Compare that to a 23 year old brand new CFI and their odds of earning as much over an entire career is far less.

Aviation careers have been going through a permanent change since deregulation. FedEx is one of the last bastions of the old school. Throughout all my postings on this web site I have never hear such a rosy assessment from anyone at UAL, DAL, AA or NWA. People need to know that for most a career in aviation will not be able to match the earnings potential of an urban police officer or grocery store manager. I understand why you want to feel good about it, but what about the guy who is contemplating 150K in school loan debt to start out as a CFI? I am not here to be a dream buster just interested in nightmare prevention. Not everyone is interested in martyrdom.

SkyHigh

Sky high I just ask one question of you, I agree with you that no one on here is painting a rosy picture of the legacy airlines but they are also not posting a domm and gloom lower class picture either. Find me some proof that they are living in proverty on that low six figure income after paying taxes and into their retirment just like the rest of the American population is doing on their salary. I also would like to see some official pay scales for the standerd police officer making six figures. Please show some real evidence to your argument. One other question, where would I have to go to spend 150k to become a CFI, I have looked but seem unable to find that school anywhere. Is it in Illinois.

On a side note, how is the little one doing, walking yet.