View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 AM
AFW_MD11
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: MD11 FO, ANC

Originally Posted by pig on the wing View Post
AFW, thank you. You seem to possess all the details that I so wantonly lack! I was awarded ANC in 06 after spending a year based in mem on the slave ship. My family and I currently live in ANC. The "new" ANC LOA didn't exist until after I was activated and living in ANC. My hope is for a vacancy award to mem but a strong possibility exists of an excess.
Thanks for the help
I think (pretty sure) with a vacancy bid award, you would be eligible for a paid move to either PDX or MEM (relo package #2) - as per the 2006 ANC LOA

But, for an excess (or bid-to-relieve excess) bid award, you would only qualify for CBA Section 6 relo package #1 if you moved to within 100 miles of MEM (but NUTHIN' if you relo from ANC to PDX) -excess makes you ineligible for the 2006 ANC LOA benefit.

I'm thinking that the difference (not that it makes total sense) is that in order to qualify for the 2006 ANC LOA move, you have to have actually lived in ANC for 36 months - thus you get the option of where to move back to in the "mainland" US (as they call it in the LOA)

For the relo package #1, you don't have to ever have lived in ANC, you can take the relo package from wherever you currently live, BUT (big BUT) you have to relocate yourself AND your family to within 100 miles of MEM in order to get anything in the package (in other words, you never had to have moved to ANC in the first place, but still get relo bennies)

small difference, but a significant one if you desire to move FROM ANC and TO anywhere other than MEM (or LAX - wherever your new domicile is)

if PDX is your objective, I think you have to get either MEM or LAX on a vacancy bid to get paid move to PDX

keep in mind, you don't have to stay in the MD11 - if paid move to PDX is the most important thing for you - might think about bidding 757 or something else in MEM that you could get on a vacancy rather than waiting for an excess.

As always.....confirm all this (in writing preferrably) from the company BEFORE you bid anything.

You never know how they might "interpret" these (or any other - 4.A.2.b.)sections of the contract and LOAs??

Good luck.