Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Golden Bear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Skeptical

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
Just for conversation, lets assume 2 pilots. A 21 year old who gets hired at a jet regional with 300point1 hours and a multi rating vs. pilot #2, a 27 year old who worked in the same part 121 school he learned to fly at, building time until he reached 1500 hours.

I think that a few months later at 700 hours, the lower time pilot that had some exposure to working in the 121 environment (consider ground schools, in-doc and sim and IOE training) might be a better all around pilot after training and a few short months on the line, than the 1500 hour pilot who spent all of his time teaching at a 121 school under the supervision of a program manager that picks the days they can or cant fly due to weather. All this guy knows is the training environment.
Are you trying to compare the 300 hour hire with 400 hours line experience to the 1500 hour guy on day one? Sure the guy with more line experience will be better.

The more apt comparison is both pilots (300 hr vs. 1500 hr. hire), each after 400 hours line experience, or even better: which one is better prepared after 30 hours of OE, signed off and ready to fly the line?

I'd put my money on the 1500 hour guy.

P.S. I assume you mean Part "141" school, don't know many Part "121" flight schools out there.