View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Lori Clark
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Aviation Consultant

Welcome Charlie.
I admire your eagerness.

Civilian flying is so, so, so competitive and squarely based on two things. 1. Number of hours and 2. recent flying experience. Who you have worked for is also a player, but usually not as important as the previous two points. That said, 1800 hours (even if you add the conversion factor) is not enough for a major airline (I lump LCC and Legacy carriers in that). So, in the commercial world, you would be competitive for a regional. If you're looking for corporate there tends to be more wiggle room with hours, but depends heavily on who you know. [Don't get me wrong here - corporate is just as competitive and sometimes even more competitive if you don't have a solid connection.]

If you are looking for a job in the Sacramento area only it will severely limit your options. A good starting point, for sure, so I suggest contacting every company in the area who has a flight department. Beyond that, you may need to resign yourself to commuting.

Aloha has some great advice about checking into your GI bill - it may just pay for a type rating. (Also check with your state about re-education - I forget off the top of my head what the program is called - maybe someone else here can chime in)
Please, please, please be absolutely sure about a type before you get it though. In most cases a type rating does nothing for you unless you have time in that airframe. (But hey, if you can get it free...why not?)

Another forum I recommend is Army Pilot to Airline Pilot - Although the name implies Army only - it is open to all military branches and there are a lot of folks who aren't Army.

Keep us posted as to your progress, will you?
Good luck!
Lori