Thread: USS Midway
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:13 PM
III Corps
No one's home

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
I wouldn't expect 'white whale' to be an appropriate name for a T-38
More like White Shark. It is such a sleek little plane.
As much as I hated parking next to a T-38 in the 'Battle Guppy' (T-2C) - I always liked parking next to a T-37 Now I didn't mind parking next to anything in the Skyhawk. That was a little 'hot rod' of a plane!

USMCFLYR
I never figured out the 'whale' remark either but it was a fun airplane to fly.

The -37 was a fun airplane to fly, responsive and yet very forgiving. But it was where we began serious instruments and that was more than a load and a half.

The -38 on the other hand seemed to just "fit". I felt I could do just about anything in it and over the six months I flew it, tried most of what I could think of.

My first solo in the -38 was a pattern ride due to wx in the local area. Speeds were 280 into the pattern, 175 plus fuel (1kt for every 100lbs over 1000) in the final turn, 155 on final plus fuel. So I do one trip around the pattern and figure my speeds on about 3500lbs of fuel or 200kts in the final turn and 180kts on final. I was told to go-around and not pitch again until I was down to around 1500lbs. Some people are just NO fun.

The Battle Guppy? Never heard that one. Not a bad looking machine, especially in this paint scheme. (...wouldn't have minded climbing in the cockpit of the machine behind the 'battle guppy' in this picture) although I read it was a slasher, one pass, one turn MAYBE and outta here!