View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 PM
skypine27
Proponent of Hysteria

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: "Part of the problem." : JL

I'm guessing anyone that thinks people are generally happy out here has not attended either of the last 2 union meetings. Some are happier than others. A formerly quick upgrade from FO to Captain certainly helps things. Here are some of my thoughts, as someone who did not receive a pay raise to be here:

Some issues we face:
  • Ground trans is not just seriously unpleasant, it's downright unsafe. There have been 3 reported accidents. It is gradually being used less and less as each bid pack is printed, though sadly I believe it will take a fatality for it to be totally removed as an option for the company. (including for reserve pilot and "operationally necessity")
  • 2700 is woefully inadequate for housing, let alone when coupled with the costs of tuition and general living expenses. Go to Schnucks and buy a weeks worth of groceries. Then do it in HK. You'll be seriously surprised (not that a weeks' worth of groceries would fit in your fridge here anyway). Interested in living in a apartment building aptly nicknamed "the dorms" as a middle aged male?
  • Pairings are nothing special. Think week long trips with 16 hour layovers and night hub turns in CAN. Most are now double DH's (see GT comment above). However, a commercial airline deadhead from HKG to CAN isn't terribly helpful bank-wise or all that pleasant to actually sit through either.
  • Be wary when you think you'll just be here for two years. Yes, the LOA specifies a 2 year commitment when one takes the "enhanced" option (the 10K + 2700/mo). However, there has to be a bid and a vacancy that you are able to hold to get out of here. You and your family want to breathe this air for 5 years? Google "Hong Kong pollution". Read it. Then Google "Guangzhou pollution". Read it. Goes from "bad" to "holy **** are you ******* kidding me??!"
  • Yes, as stated above, no one has any say where you spend your vacation days/sick days/and days off. This isn't North Korea, East Berlin, or Commie Russia. Passport audits to determine where you spend your free time are not part of the LOA.
My 2C