View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 11:58 PM
AFW_MD11
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: MD11 FO, ANC

sin
Originally Posted by 990Convair View Post
....why are we crashing airplanes then? We have one of the worst safety records in recent years and I'm curious to know why this is?

Looking all the way back to the 747 crash (Tigers/Fedex) we seem to have gotten away with band-aid fixes until our most recent loss of lives accident.

It's time to figure this out.
Allow me answer your question with another question....

(I don't know the answer to my question either)

What is our overall accident/incident RATE compared to, say, frequency of takeoffs/landings?

Is it within the statistical average rates for all MAJOR airlines or all CARGO airlines that operate worldwide? or is it so far outta whack (statistically) that it is a HUGE/glaring problem that needs to be somehow "fixed" yesterday?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MD11 isn't the only airplane that we've "crashed" (or hull loss or major damage) here at FedEx, is it? (727, MD10, Airbus?)

And...FedEx isn't the only airline that has "crashed" MD11's either, are we? even recently (Shanghai on takeoff)

so.....I don't know/have the stats, but maybe all our MD11 "problems" that this first-time-poster/highly experienced/has-it-all-figured-out "jetkid" is blaming on our FedEx MD11 crews' "juniority" and "lack of experience on the jet" aren't even significant (statistically)

(with all due respect to FX80 crew and their families - of course that single event is/was significant to them)