View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Lori Clark
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Aviation Consultant

Originally Posted by Hacker15e View Post
Seems overboard to simply say that's "not enough". I have numerous ex-squadronmates who were hired at Majors with barely the 1500 hour ATP minimum.
This may be true - it completely depends on the hiring environment at the time these folks were hired. If your friends were hired in the '99-'00 time frame, it was a literal feeding frenzy and not nearly as competitive. You have to look at the current hiring market. Just being honest here - if an HR person (or worse, a clerk with no real knowledge) is screening resumes/applications they will look to see if the person meets the minimum requirements first. Total time is the biggest part of those requirements.

Charlie never said what kind of airplanes he got his 1800 hours in. A fighter dude with 1800 hours can have every single hour of it be turbine/multi/PIC, which is above the mins of many majors and, as I've said, good enough to get hired at many of them, too. A fighter guy with 1800 probably also has a good chunk of that as Instructor, and another piece probably as an evaluator.
Yes, some airlines will take into consideration what type of flying the person has done - and if it is all turbine time and turbine PIC even, they will regard him as more competitive. Meaning, if they are savvy they will put him in a category with others who have 1500 hours of turbine time. But that is only within the parameter of already being considered competitive overall. That said, right now there are thousands of pilots on the street and many who have double and triple that amount of turbine time.

In an environment like today where nobody is hiring...anyone...at all...then there is NO experience level that is enough, even double or triple that.
Sad, but true. This is where published mins don't mean anything - it's all about competitiveness.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am all for, and do recommend, applying everywhere. You just never know who will pick up the phone. But I also want to be realistic - so no, I don't think my statements are overboard, just honest.